Sunday, November 14, 2010

Of Earth and Sky


Here is my entry for Pillow Talk Swap round 4 ~ going to ?? someone, somewhere....who could it be?

I have had a version of this design in my head since PTS3 but it was nixed in favor of the Circular Logic pillow at the last moment. Originally this pillow was supposed to have an aqua/blues color palette but my partner wasn't really an aqua kind of person, so I have changed the design somewhat to better suit their preferences.
The pieced portion of this pillow was made using the Hexagon string piecing process written by Malka Dubrawsky in the winter 2010 issue of International Quilt Festival Quilt Scene magazine. After piecing together those lovely hexies, I proceeded to cut them up again (I seem to always do that) to create the curved sections necessary for the design.
I used Radiance (Kaufman) in Chocolate which is a silk/cotton blend for the gathered section. A little piping to accent the curves and then finally pieced in the linen section to complete the pillow top.
I was able to try a few new techniques for this pillow. I thought the design called for some fancy quilting and I had been wanting to try some pebble quilting. So the linen section has a progression of pebbles, going from large to small across the linen.

As the title suggests, this pillow represents a sort of Earth and Sky theme which is where the pebbles come in. The color palette represents a beautiful sunset.

Kind of a fun project that sewed up very quickly. I like it when it works like that.


I hope you like it Partner! It's flying your way tomorrow.

Happy Sewing!


16 comments:

two hippos said...

It's gorgeous! I love it -- it's not even the colors I would regularly gravitate towards, but wow!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love the detail in the brown curve! I saw the post on FB, but didn't realize the brown detail was more than just a brown piece of fabric. COol!

jmb_craftypickle said...

very lovely, I think that it would be nice to sit next to on a couch too.

Amelia said...

Stunning! Makes me wish I was a participant in this swap.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, that is seriously beautiful. I can only hope it's coming to my house. Off to find a copy of the magazine you mentioned, I love Malka's work and I love the way you pieced this.

Kate said...

You've done a fantastic job with this. And the pebble quilting is perfect.

Caitlin said...

I LOVE it!! The pebbling is so beautiful :)

Emily said...

This is so amazing!!! I love everything about it! :)

VickiT said...

Wow. Normally I do not get too excited about pillows because I have so many now that I don't know what to do with them. BUT!!! THIS is gorgeous. I LOVE this pillow. Your swap partner will be just thrilled when this arrives. Great job.

Debbie L said...

It's gorgeous Caroline!

Unknown said...

Its perfect. I so wish I would have had you! Such beautiful work.

Kelli said...

I'm not even in this pillow swap and I'm hoping it's coming to my house!!! What a beautiful job. The design and the colors work so well together, you did great work, as usual!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I received it today Caroline and ABSOLUTELY LOVE it! Thank you so much! It's perfect and will be treasured forever!

Carla said...

Love the ruffle touch you added. It has more detail and it's so pretty!

Kristen said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the little details!

Dianne said...

This is just totally amazing!!!! So, so beautiful, every single detail.....it's wonderful! Whoever the receiver is is a very lucky girl!